This post may contain affiliate links.
I'm posting this Vegan Butternut Squash Soup with Ginger today not just because it's delicious and easy and I want to share it with you, but because I owe my mom the recipe. A few visits ago, she and I made a double batch of this soup and we froze it up for her work lunches. She asked me to make more when we were visiting a few weeks ago and I never got around to it. Sorry mom. Here's the recipe - wish we could whip it up together.
Cutting the peel from the butternut squash is the most challenging part of making this soup. The trick to peeling these big, awkward squashes is to cut the top and bottom ends off, so they sit flat on your cutting board. Then, with a sharp knife, start from the top of the squash and cut the peel off top to bottom along the squash's contour (watch your fingers!). Then slice the squash in half lengthwise and scoop out the seeds (I find a grapefruit spoon works well for scooping). Once that's done, the rest is easy.
For so few ingredients, you may be surprised at this vegan butternut squash soup's depth of flavor. Fresh ginger adds sweetness and spice, nutmeg exhales a soft creamy scent, and sweet potato feels velvety smooth in your mouth. Serve it with Savory Scones or these Lavosh Crackers (also vegan) for a satisfying meal.
Vegan Butternut Squash Soup
You can make this soup with chicken broth and top with sour cream, but I also recommend trying the vegan version made with vegetable broth and drizzled with cashew cream. I've included the simple recipe for cashew cream in the recipe notes.
Love sweet potatoes? Don't miss my Sweet Potato Hash, Sweet Potato Hash Browns, or this Sweet Potato Bread. And if you're an autumn soup lover like me, don't miss these other big flavored, satisfying soups: Delicata Squash Soup, Winter Squash Soup, African Peanut Soup, and Caldo Verde!
Vegan Butternut Squash Soup with Ginger
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large onion cut in to ½ inch chunks
- 1 large butternut squash peeled and cut in to 1 ½ inch chunks
- 1 medium sweet potato cut in to 1 ½ inch chunks (no need to peel)
- 4 large cloves garlic smashed and peeled
- 8 cups vegetable broth or chicken broth
- 3 inch piece fresh ginger peeled and finely grated
- ⅛ teaspoon nutmeg preferably freshly grated whole nutmeg on a microplane
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- cashew cream (see recipe notes) or sour cream, optional
- pumpkin seeds to taste, optional
- Heat a large soup pot over medium heat. Add olive oil, onions, and a pinch of salt. Cook and stir until onion is translucent, about 3 minutes.
- Add squash, sweet potato, garlic, and broth to onion mixture and stir. Bring to boil. After 15 minutes, add ginger and stir. Cook 5 to 10 minutes more, or until the squash and sweet potato are tender.
- Time to puree the soup. If you have an immersion blender with a stainless steel shaft, you can puree the soup right away in the pot. If you're using a stand blender, wait until the soup cools a bit and then puree it in batches. Add nutmeg, salt, and freshly ground black pepper to taste.
- If desired, serve with a swirl of cashew cream or sour cream and a sprinkle of pumpkin seeds.