I’ve been enamored with nut flour since I made these Almond Flour Muffins. How is it that nut flour makes baked goods that are delicate and light with just a hint of crunch? I don’t have the answer, but I love the result.
You’ve undoubtedly noticed that I’m a fan of scones, both savory and sweet. I think it’s good to have several go-to scone recipes, and this one makes the cut. It’s somewhere between scone and cookie, pleasantly light, but with enough crumbly crunch to be reminiscent of shortbread. It’s also the easiest scone recipe that you’ll ever make.
Where did I find the recipe for this gem? On the side of a Bob’s Red Mill hazelnut flour bag. I know, not very glamorous, but why not? I took the recipe and swapped in sour cherries for currants and substituted white whole wheat flour for half of the AP flour.
These scones are just barely sweet, only 2 teaspoons of sugar in the whole recipe. I recommend serving them with some lovely preserves that you have on hand, or, with one of my favorites, Bonne Maman Cherry Preserves.
Hazelnut and Sour Cherry Cream Scones
- 1 cup Hazelnut Flour/Meal
- 1/2 cup unbleached white flour
- 1/2 cup white whole wheat flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 tsp fine sea salt
- 2 tsp natural cane sugar
- 1/2 cup dried sour cherries
- 1 cup chilled heavy cream
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together: flours (hazelnut, white whole wheat, and unbleached white), baking powder, salt, and sugar. Stir in dried sour cherries. Slowly add the cream, gently folding it in to the dry ingredients, just until combined. Gather dough into your hands and press just until it forms a ball.
- Place dough on a work surface and use your hands and fingertips to flatten into a 1 1/2″ thick round.
- Cut round into 8 equal wedges. Transfer wedges to prepared baking sheet. Arrange scones on parchment so they are 1″ to 2″ apart.
- Optional: If you have some cream left, brush it over the top of each scone and lightly sprinkle with coarse sugar.
- Bake for 12-14 minutes or until golden brown.