To make delectable Mexican Cornbread, I start with my favorite skillet cornbread and embellish it with jalapeños, green onions, and sharp cheddar cheese.
It’s the ideal companion for a hearty bowl of chili (like White Chicken Chili or Chorizo Chili), Mexican Street Corn Salad, or Grilled Shrimp. And a butter slathered slab of it with a bowl of tender pinto beans makes a simple and spectacular meal.
How to Freeze Cornbread
If you end up with leftover Mexican cornbread, don’t worry. It freezes beautifully! Cut cornbread into wedges of your desired size (I like to wrap one meal’s worth). Wrap in foil and place in a freezer bag or freezer safe container. This will keep it from drying out. Enjoy within a month or two.
How to Thaw and REheat Cornbread
Thaw frozen, foil wrapped cornbread at room temperature. When cornbread has thawed, preheat oven to 350˚F. Reheat cornbread in foil for 10-15 minutes. Serve.
How to Make Mexican Cornbread
Step 1: Add cast Iron Skillet to cold oven and preheat to 400˚F. Meanwhile, whisk together cornmeal, whole wheat flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and sugar.
Step 2: Melt butter and set aside to cool slightly. Combine buttermilk, corn and eggs in a blender and blend until smooth.
Step 3: Add melted butter, buttermilk mixture, jalapeño, green onion and cheddar cheese to cornmeal mixture.
Step 4: Fold batter with a rubber spatula until combined.
Step 4: Swirl oil on bottom and sides of preheated skillet and add MEXICAN CORNBREAD BATTER; spread to an even layer with a rubber spatula. Bake 25 minutes. Let cool 5 minutes and serve.
Other Quick Bread Recipes to Try
- Oatmeal Banana Bread (Made with whole grain flour and honey, this one is a family favorite!)
- Homemade Pita Bread (This does require yeast, but it’s so easy and you’ll never go back to buying store bought pita!)
Mexican Cornbread Recipe Video
- 1 1/2 cups whole grain cornmeal 198 grams, preferably medium grind
- 1 cup White Whole Wheat Flour 120 grams
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt or 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 8 tablespoons butter (stick)
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 3/4 cup frozen corn 99 grams, thawed
- 2 large eggs
- 1 jalapeño seeded and finely chopped, see recipe note
- 4 green onions thinly sliced
- 4 ounces sharp cheddar cheese grated
- 2 tablespoons avocado oil or other high heat oil
- Place a 10-inch cast iron skillet in a cold oven on center rack. Turn oven to 400°F, allowing the pan to preheat.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together cornmeal, flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and sugar. Set aside.
- Melt butter and set aside to cool.
- In a blender or combine buttermilk, corn and eggs; mix until smooth.
- Pour buttermilk mixture and melted butter into cornmeal mixture. Add jalapeño, green onion and cheese; fold ingredients together with a rubber spatula or wooden spoon until combined; don’t over-mix.
- With an oven mitt, remove preheated skillet. Add oil to hot skillet and swirl to coat bottom and sides of pan. Pour batter into skillet, scraping the bowl with a rubber spatula. Smooth top and place on the oven’s center rack.
- Bake for 25 minutes or until knife or toothpick comes out clean. Let cool 5 minutes or more before serving.