To make sesame mayonnaise in the past, I just whisked some toasted sesame oil into store bought mayonnaise. I like the hint of sesame in things like tuna sandwiches or spicy sriracha mayonnaise. But the other day I decided to whip up some homemade mayonnaise and thought, “Why not use sesame oil?”
It was delicious!
So I had to share it with you. And it comes with a bonus…
When you’re finished, you’ll have an incredibly creamy condiment and the best forearm workout of your life. If you’ve made homemade mayonnaise before, you know what I mean. It’s important to add the oil slowly, drop by drop. If things go wrong and your mayonnaise breaks, don’t worry. Try again by adding an egg yolk to a clean bowl and slowly add your broken mayonnaise, whisking constantly.
Of course, if you’re concerned about eating raw eggs, skip this recipe. And even if you’re not concerned, be sure to use a very fresh egg and wash the shell before cracking.
Homemade Sesame Mayonnaise
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice preferably fresh
- ¼ teaspoon fine sea salt
- ½ cup sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon toasted sesame oil
- Whisk egg yolk, lemon juice and salt together in a small bowl.
- Combine the sesame oil and toasted sesame oil in a small measuring pitcher.
- Add oil to egg yolk mixture, one drop at a time, whisking constantly until mayonnaise begins to form. Continue dripping in oil and whisking until all of the oil is incorporated.