This post may contain affiliate links.
What is it about them? Whether they're sautéed in butter, piled onto pizza, or shoveled into pasta, pie, or soup, I never think to myself, "Man, there are too many mushrooms."
So you won't be surprised that I've called for a pound and a half of them in this soup, along with hearty portions of vegetables and barley. Then, to make it a satisfying one dish meal, you'll stir in a generous amount of brie which will melt into creamy perfection.
If you're wiped out from a long day at work or just want a quick and hearty meal, this is a great choice. You'll spend about 15 minutes preparing it, and then let it simmer away for about an hour while you sip a glass of wine or a cup of tea.
Mushroom Barley and Brie Soup
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 large shallots coarsely chopped
- 4 cloves garlic chopped
- 2 carrots diced
- 2 celery ribs diced
- 1 cup pearled barley
- ½ cup dry white wine
- 1 ½ pounds mushrooms
- 2 teaspoons fresh thyme leaves
- 1 teaspoon finely ground white pepper
- 4 cups mushroom broth
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 6 ounces brie rind removed and cut into small chunks
- salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Heat olive oil in a soup pot over medium heat. Add shallots, garlic, carrots and celery; cook and stir 2 minutes. Add barley and white wine; cook and stir 2 minutes more. Add mushrooms, thyme, pepper, broth and stock. Bring to boil and reduce heat; simmer 50 minutes.
- When barley and vegetables are tender, stir in brie. Cook and stir until brie has melted in to soup. Season to taste with salt and freshly ground black pepper and serve.