This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
Imagine waking up to a toasted slice of Oatmeal Banana Bread slathered in butter. Not a bad way to start the day! Especially when this delicious quick bread recipe is loaded with nutritious things like oats, bananas and whole grain flour!
To the person who figured out that too-ripe bananas would make delicious bread: thank you.
Of quick breads, banana is one of my favorites. It’s so versatile. I’ve made it with a variety of flours and spices, and sometimes add chopped walnuts, shredded coconut or even dark chocolate chunks.
It was this recipe from Sarah at The Chef Next Door that got me to thinking about adding oats. And I’m so glad I did! The banana bread has an entirely different texture – dense and rich. Since I’m unable to leave a recipe alone, I swapped in honey and whole grain flour and was happy with the result.
When you make this, you may be like me, unable to wait until the next day to slice the loaf and try a piece. It is warm bread after all. What you’ll get are warm, shaggy slices like those pictured above, delicious but messy. If you can bear to wait until the next day, at least for part of it, you’ll be rewarded with a sliceable, toast-worthy loaf that honestly tastes even better than the day it was made (especially with a nice slab of butter melted over the top.)
And if you love this bread, be sure to check out this Zucchini Banana Bread, this Sweet Potato Bread, and these Banana Oatmeal Muffins, Banana Blueberry Oatmeal Muffins and Banana Oatmeal Cookies – that all make a perfect and nutritious portable breakfast or afternoon pick me up!
Oatmeal Banana Bread
- 2 cups white whole wheat flour 240 grams
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup old fashioned rolled oats 96 grams
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter softened (plus more for greasing loaf pan)
- 2 eggs lightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 3 very ripe bananas mashed
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Grease a loaf pan with butter.
- In a medium bowl whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Stir in oats.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, fitted with the paddle attachment, beat honey and butter on medium-high speed until fluffy, about 2 minutes. Add eggs and vanilla; mix just until combined. Add mashed bananas and milk; mix just until combined.
- Mixing on low speed, add dry ingredients in two additions, scraping down sides with a spatula as needed.
- Pour batter into the prepared loaf pan and bake 60-70 minutes, or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Cool bread in the pan on cooling rack for 15 minutes. Remove loaf from pan and place back on cooling rack to cool completely. Slice and serve or, for best results, wrap tightly with plastic wrap and let stand at room temperature overnight. Then slice, toast and serve warm with butter.
- You’ll need a standard, 1 pound loaf pan for this recipe.
- To cut the loaf into 12 slices: cut the loaf into quarters crosswise, starting in the middle. Then cut each quarter into 3 equal slices.
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.