This is not your average oatmeal. For one, because it’s a holiday (and year-round) treat that will help you fit in a little black dress. And because it lends itself to endless decadent accessories like cinnamon spiced apples, candied ginger, apricots, coconut, autumn spice blend…It’s also portable – throw it into you purse for breakfast at your desk or for a tummy-warming snack when you’re out XC skiing or cheering on kids at a soccer game. You’ll just need some hot liquid (water, spiced cider, chai, etc.), 3 minutes, and a spoon.
We’ve been eating a lot of these lately in different varieties. I love that you can make a dozen of them at once, stack them in the refrigerator, and they’re ready to go. They also make a fun and practical edible gift and come in a package sturdy enough to make a trek across the country – which is exactly what these are going to do.
I made these versions for Joanne of Eats Well with Others, my partner this month in The Leftovers Club. Do you know about the club? Here’s how it works. Each month you’re paired up with a new food blogger and the two of you exchange something delicious by mail. I can hardly wait to try what Joanne made for me – just look at these salt-n-pepper sandwich cookies!
I made Joanne a few of my favorite combinations: Apple Pie (oats, dried apples, cinnamon, brown sugar, almonds), Pumpkin Spice (oats, pumpkin pie spice, brown sugar, toasted walnuts), Apricot Ginger (oats, Turkish apricots, candied ginger, brown sugar, cinnamon), and Oatmeal Cookie (oats, walnuts, raisins, brown sugar, cinnamon).
- 8 ounce wide-mouth canning jar
- 1/3 cup oats (I love extra-thick oats)
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- small pinch kosher salt
- dried apples, cinnamon, almonds to taste
- pumpkin pie spice, toasted walnuts to taste
- Turkish apricots, candied ginger, cinnamon to taste
- walnuts, raisins, cinnamon to taste
- dried pineapple, banana chips, shredded coconut
- Combine basics and your choice of additions in an 8-ounce wide-mouth canning jar.
- Add boiling water (or other liquid) just to cover ingredients.
- Screw on lid and wait 3 minutes.
- Stir and enjoy!