This post may contain affiliate links.
Roasted Green Beans and Potatoes are a delectable and convenient way to serve two side dishes in one. Whether you’re preparing them for a holiday meal or tossing them together for a simple weeknight dinner, you'll need just 5 simple ingredients and 10 minutes of active time. A simple technique ensures that both vegetables are cooked just right and ready to serve at the same time.
It might seem daunting to achieve crispy potatoes that are creamy within and tender, caramelized green beans when they're roasted together at the same temperature. But it's all about placement and time. Arranging each vegetable on one side of a baking sheet allows you to control the roasting times individually so that both are cooked to perfection.
Ingredients You Need to Make Roasted Green Beans and Potatoes
- Green Beans: small, thin French green beans (haricot verts) are best for this recipe
- Potatoes: ideally Yukon Gold potatoes or other waxy or semi-waxy potatoes like fingerling potatoes or baby potatoes
- Olive Oil: good quality extra-virgin olive oil
- Garlic: fresh garlic cloves
- Fresh Rosemary: or fresh thyme leaves
- Kosher Salt and Freshly Ground Black Pepper
Seasoning this dish simply with good olive oil and fresh rosemary and garlic enhances the natural flavors and textures of the vegetables instead of overpowering them.
Why Fresh Aromatics are Best
Instead of dried or powdered spices, it's best to use fresh garlic and rosemary in this dish. Because of the short list of ingredients, each one has the chance to shine. Finely mincing the two aromatics helps them evenly distribute throughout the vegetables.
That said, granulated garlic and a dried herb blend like Italian seasoning are fine substitutions for fresh herbs if that's what you have on hand.
Partially cooking each vegetable separately is the first key step to ensuring that they cook properly during the roasting process. While the potatoes start roasting, the green beans get a quick steam to help them maintain their vibrant green color. Once the potatoes are a little over halfway cooked, the steamed green beans are added to soften and caramelize.
Keeping the vegetables on separate halves of the baking sheet is the second key step. This way it's easy to adjust timing if one or the other needs a few more minutes. When the final timer goes off, you should have two beautifully roasted vegetables ready to serve.
How to Store and Reheat
Store in the refrigerator in an airtight container for up to 5 days. To reheat: heat a generous drizzle of olive oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add leftover vegetables and cook, gently stirring until heated through.
More Delicious Potato Recipes
- Roasted Potatoes and Broccoli
- Yukon Gold Mashed Potatoes
- Skillet Potatoes
- Roasted Potatoes and Onions
- Roasted Potatoes and Brussels Sprouts
- Easy Creamy Mashed Red Potatoes
How to Make Roasted Green Beans and Potatoes
Toss potatoes with olive oil, rosemary, salt and pepper in a large bowl. Spread on one half of a parchment lined baking sheet and bake 25 minutes, stirring once, in an oven preheated to 425°F.
While the potatoes roast, steam green beans until just bright green. Transfer to a bowl and toss with olive oil, garlic, salt and pepper.
Stir partially roasted potatoes and spread lightly steamed green beans on the baking sheet's opposite half. Bake until potatoes are crispy and green beans lightly caramelized. Combine vegetables and season to taste; transfer to serving bowl and serve hot.
Roasted Green Beans and Potatoes
- 1 pound Yukon Gold potatoes cut into 1-inch pieces
- 4 tablespoons olive oil divided
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh rosemary
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1 pound green beans cut into florets of similar size
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Place potatoes in a large bowl and drizzle with 2 tablespoons of the olive oil, sprinkle rosemary over and season to taste with salt and pepper; toss to coat. Spread in an even layer over half of the prepared baking sheet. Bake 25 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a large pot, place a steamer basket over 1-inch of water and bring to boil. Add green beans in an even layer; cover and steam just until bright green, about 3 minutes. Transfer green beans to a large bowl; drizzle with remaining 2 tablespoons olive oil and add garlic. Season with salt and pepper and toss toss to combine.
- When potatoes have roasted for 25 minutes, remove from oven and stir. Spread the seasoned green beans in an even layer on the other half of the baking sheet. Bake 15-18 minutes until potatoes and green beans are tender with crispy edges.
- Remove from oven; gently stir to combine green beans and potatoes. Taste for seasoning and add more salt and pepper if desired. Transfer to serving bowl or platter and serve hot.