Would you agree that some days you just need a few bites of something sweet? Salted Coconut Honey and Nut Bites are just perfect – and, with this recipe you can make them in just a few minutes.
Keith and I have been eating a little lighter lately – it is January after all and our waistlines need to recover from the holidays. Afternoon tummy rumbles have become the norm. So I decided to come up with a treat, something small, just a tide-me-over.
Making these is very simple, just a matter of tossing all of the ingredients into a food processor and zizzing away until nearly smooth. Then you’ll be scooping out little balls, giving them a quick roll between your palms for shape, then a spin in some shredded coconut. And, voilà! The only cooking requirement is to melt some coconut oil.
Maybe your tummy is rumbling too? These salted coconut, honey and nut bites are just the thing for a mid-afternoon or after dinner craving that won’t give up.
Salted Coconut Honey and Nut Bites
- 1/4 cup golden raisins
- 1/2 cup coconut oil
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup unsweetened shredded coconut divided
- 1/2 cup walnuts
- 3/4 cup pecans
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 cup coconut sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- Place raisins in a small bowl and cover with very hot water; set aside.
- In a small saucepan, heat coconut oil just until melted. Remove from heat and whisk in honey and vanilla to a smooth, caramel-like consistency. Set aside to cool.
- To the bowl of a food processor add 1/2 cup shredded coconut, walnuts, pecans, cinnamon, sugar and salt. Drain raisins and add to coconut mixture. Pulse until very finely chopped. Pour coconut oil mixture over and process until nearly smooth - a consistency somewhere between creamy and chunky peanut butter. Transfer mixture to medium bowl.
- Line a tray or baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Place remaining shredded coconut onto a small plate.
- Scoop out a rounded teaspoon (the kind you eat with, not measure) of the nut mixture and roll between your palms into a ball. Place on plate of shredded coconut and gently roll the ball to coat with coconut. Transfer to prepared tray and repeat with remaining nut mixture. Cover tray with plastic wrap and refrigerate until firm. Transfer nut bites to airtight container and store in the refrigerator.