You won’t believe how easy it is to make Slow Cooker Jambalaya! Melt in your mouth chicken, smoky sausage and buttery shrimp mixed with a medley of tender vegetables and hot rice in a rich, spicy sauce.
This is my very favorite recipe for jambalaya – it’s so meaty! You cook it hot and fast in a slow cooker, adding shrimp and rice at the end. It’s a wonderful way to feed a group (up to 10 people) and if you’re lucky enough to have leftovers, it’s just as delicious the next day.
Note that it’s important to brown the chicken, sausage and vegetables before adding them to the slow cooker. I’ve tried to skip this step and the flavor is just not the same.
Make this easy jambalaya recipe once, and I bet you’ll come back to it again and again. It’s fantastic and entirely reliable!
How to Make Slow Cooker Jambalaya
Step 1: Brown chicken and sausage in two batches, transferring each to slow cooker.
Step 2: Add vegetables to skillet; cook and stir until softened. Transfer to slow cooker.
Step 3: To meat and vegetable mixture in slow cooker add tomatoes, Cajun seasoning, smoked paprika and salt; stir to combine. Cook on High for 4 hours.
Step 4: During last 15 minutes of cooking time, stir in shrimp.
Step 5: Once shrimp has cooked through, stir in hot cooked rice. Season to taste with salt, pepper and hot pepper sauce. Serve.
Slow Cooker Jambalaya Recipe Video
Slow Cooker Jambalaya
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 pounds boneless skinless chicken thighs quartered and patted dry
- 12 ounces smoked sausage cut into 1/2-inch thick rounds
- 3 cloves garlic peeled and coarsely chopped
- 1 large onion diced
- 3 ribs celery diced
- 1 large bell pepper diced
- 14 1/2 ounce diced tomatoes with juice
- 1 tablespoon Cajun seasoning
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1 pound shrimp shelled and deveined
- 5 cups hot cooked rice
- salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- hot pepper sauce to taste
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. When hot, add 2 teaspoons of oil and swirl to coat. Add half of the chicken and sausage; cook and stir until browned on all sides, but not cooked through. Transfer to 6-quart slow cooker; repeat with remaining chicken and sausage. (Add more oil if needed for the second batch).
- Return skillet to stove over medium-high heat. When hot, add 2 teaspoons of oil along with garlic, onion, celery and bell pepper. Cook and stir, scraping up any browned bits until vegetables are softened. Transfer to chicken and sausage mixture in slow cooker.
- To mixture in slow cooker add tomatoes, Cajun seasoning, smoked paprika, and salt. Stir mixture to combine and set slow cooker to High; cook for 4 hours.
- In the last 15 minutes of cooking, stir in shrimp. Once shrimp is cooked through stir in hot cooked rice. Season to taste with salt, pepper and hot pepper sauce. Serve.