These S’mores Brownies start with a chewy blondie brownie layer that tastes like a buttery, honey kissed graham cracker followed by a thick layer of creamy dark chocolate and finish with a toasted billowy smooth marshmallow meringue.
I’ve had this s’mores brownie recipe swirling around in my head for weeks now. I wanted to capture the true essence of the classic campfire treat in an elegant way – dress it up a bit, but keep the components the same. That meant a graham cracker flavored base, but I didn’t want to do a graham cracker crust that might crumble when picked up. So the base of these is a blondie brownie using whole grain flour and honey, reminiscent of homemade graham crackers. The center is creamy and dark, a simple mixture of chocolate and butter that is sturdy enough to cut, but yields easily when you take a bite.
But what I’m most excited about is the top! I thought I would need to make full-fledged homemade marshmallows, but then I discovered this marshmallow meringue recipe from Food & Wine – no gelatin, no molten hot sugar, no torturous overnight wait before cutting. Pure genius! It’s very similar to a classic meringue with the caveat that you heat the egg whites and sugar before whipping. The result is a thick, glossy meringue that tastes exactly like marshmallows. Mound it over the chocolate, set it under the broiler for a quick toast and you’re ready to cut and serve!
S’mores Brownies Recipe Video
Blondie Brownie Layer
- 1/2 cup butter melted
- 1/2 cup brown sugar packed tight
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1 large egg lightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour 64g
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour 60g
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/8 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 pinch salt
Creamy Chocolate Layer
- 6 ounces bittersweet chocolate chips or semi-sweet
- 3 tablespoons butter
Marshmallow Meringue Layer
- 3 large egg whites lightly beaten
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
For the Blondie Brownies
- Preheat oven to 350°F
- Butter an 8X8-inch pan.
- In a medium bowl whisk together melted butter, brown sugar and honey. Add egg, vanilla and all dry ingredients (flours, baking soda, baking powder, and salt); stir to combine. Pour into prepared pan and spread into an even layer; bake for 25 minutes. Remove from oven and cool completely.
For Creamy Chocolate Layer
- Add butter and chocolate chips to a heatproof bowl set over (but not touching) simmering water. Stir until melted and glossy. Spread mixture over cooled Blondie Brownies and refrigerate until cold and set.
For Marshmallow Meringue Layer
- Preheat broiler.
- Add lightly beaten egg whites and sugar to a heatproof bowl set over (but not touching) simmering water. Whisk constantly until mixture is warm and sugar has dissolved, about 3 minutes.
- Transfer egg white mixture to bowl of a stand mixer fitted with whisk attachment. Add vanilla and cream of tartar and whip at medium speed until firm. Increase speed to high and whip until meringue is glossy and stiff, about another 5 minutes.
- Spread meringue evenly over blondie brownies cold chocolate layer, swirling the top decoratively with spoon or spatula. Broil 8-inches from heat for about 1 minute to toast meringue - watching constantly so it doesn't burn.
- With a thin, sharp knife cut brownies into 16 2-inch squares. Have a bowl of hot water and a paper or cloth towel to wipe the knife clean between each cut. Serve.