Honey sweetened and studded with pecans and dried cranberries, this Almond Flour Pumpkin Bread is tender, moist and warmly spiced. Made entirely with almond flour, it’s also gluten free.
Most quick breads, even my Oatmeal Banana Bread and Sweet Potato Bread, are best toasted and finished with a dab of butter or some kind of fruit or nut butter spread. But this bread needs nothing at all. Warm from the oven or cold from the refrigerator, it’s delicious as is and makes a wonderful autumn breakfast or snack – perfect for Thanksgiving morning!
Ingredients You Need to Make Almond Flour Pumpkin Bread
- Blanched Almond Flour: Or unblanched super fine ground almond flour. Don’t use almond meal which is more coarsely ground.
- Baking Powder
- Baking Soda
- Kosher Salt: or 1/2 the amount of fine sea salt.
- Pumpkin Pie Spice: Or ground cinnamon with a pinch of nutmeg if you have it on hand.
- Butter: Or coconut oil.
- Honey: Or maple syrup.
- Eggs: Large or extra large.
- Pumpkin Puree: Plain canned pumpkin puree for a pure pumpkin flavor, not pumpkin pie filling which includes sweetener and spices.
- Pecans: Or walnuts.
- Dried Cranberries: Dried cherries or raisins are also options.
I’ve spent the past few weeks experimenting with almond flour recipes. It’s been both a challenge and a thrill to get the recipes just right. These tips aren’t difficult, but they’re important and I want you to have a perfect loaf the first time.
- Use a 1 pound loaf pan, 8.5 x 4.5 x 2.75 inches. With a larger pan, the center of your loaf is likely to droop.
- Be sure to use finely ground blanched almond flour not almond meal for the best texture.
- Don’t skip the parchment strip with handles, it’s key to removing the loaf in one piece. Baking with almond flour yields an extra tender texture that makes baked goods delicate and more prone to fall apart.
- To make this a paleo pumpkin bread recipe, swap in coconut oil for the butter.
- For a vegan version, sweeten with an equal amount of maple syrup and substitute eggs with a vegan egg substitute like flax eggs or chia eggs (directions for making them in this Almond Flour Blueberry Muffin post), or applesauce.
- Try different add-ins: chocolate chips, walnuts or pumpkin seeds, and/ or dried cherries are all good options. You can also add a teaspoon of pure vanilla extract with the other wet ingredients for added flavor depth.
- Spread slices with soft cream cheese or almond butter for a heartier snack or breakfast.
More Almond Flour Recipes to Try
- Almond Flour Muffins
- Almond Flour Blueberry Muffins
- Almond Flour Brownies (So thick and fudgy!)
- Almond Flour Crackers (A versatile cracker that’s cheesy, flaky, and crisp.)
How to Make Almond Flour Pumpkin Bread
Step 1: Preheat oven to 350˚F and prepare loaf pan, buttering the ends and lining the middle and long sides with a strip of parchment paper long enough to overlap the edges on each side by a couple of inches. Whisk dry ingredients together in a medium bowl (almond flour, baking powder, baking soda, kosher salt, and pumpkin pie spice).
Step 2: Whip butter and honey until fluffy in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment. Add eggs and mix until incorporated. Pour in dry ingredients and add pumpkin puree and mix to incorporate. Add pecans and dried cranberries; mix until just combined.
Step 3: Scrape batter into prepared loaf pan and smooth top with a rubber spatula. Bake until a knife or toothpick comes out clean, 55 to 60 minutes (tent with foil at 45-50 minutes). Let cool on a wire rack for at least 15 minutes before removing loaf from the pan.
Almond Flour Pumpkin Bread
- 2 cups blanched almond flour 224g, or unblanched super fine almond flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon pumpkin pie spice
- 4 tablespoons butter or coconut oil at room temperature
- 1/3 cup honey 113g
- 2 large eggs lightly beaten
- 3/4 cup pumpkin puree 183g, not pumpkin pie filling
- 1/4 cup chopped pecans about 1 ounce
- 1/4 cup dried cranberries or raisins, about 1 ounce
- Preheat oven to 350˚F.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together dry ingredients: almond flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and pumpkin pie spice.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, fitted with the paddle attachment, beat honey and butter on medium-high speed until fluffy, about 2 minutes. Add eggs; mix just until combined, scraping down bowl as necessary. Add dry ingredients and pumpkin puree; mix just until combined. Add pecans and dried cranberries; mix just until combined, scraping down the sides with a rubber spatula as needed.
- With a rubber spatula, scrape batter into prepared loaf pan and smooth the top. Bake 55-60 minutes, or until a knife inserted in the center comes out moist but clean (no wet crumbs). Tent with foil at 45-50 minutes to keep edges from getting too brown.
- Remove bread from oven and let cool in the pan on cooling rack for 15 minutes. Remove loaf from pan and place back on cooling rack to cool completely. Slice and serve or for best results, wrap tightly with plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight before slicing.
- Feel free to swap in your favorite nuts and / or dried fruits for those I’ve suggested.
- Store wrapped tightly in the refrigerator for up to a week.