The trick to assembling a perfect tostada is to stack the crispy tortilla with just enough toppings so that you can lift it to your mouth and take a bite without everything toppling off.
I'm terrible at it.
I'm the same at a salad bar, building a mountain of lettuce, cucumbers, cauliflower, tomatoes, carrots, green peas, corn, mushrooms, pickled beets and croutons that no mere mortal could balance all the way back to the table without a rolling rogue tomato or two. So when you assemble these, try to be realistic. Or don't.
When I decided to bake the corn tortillas instead of frying them, I wasn't sure if they'd be crispy enough. They were. These Tostada Shells are made with a method that might surprise you. They are perfectly flat and you'd never guess that they're baked not fried.
If you happen to have leftover slow cooker pork carnitas in your refrigerator and a little tub of homemade refried beans (like we've had this week), you can whip these Pork Carnitas Tostadas up in about 15 minutes for lunch or dinner, serve alongside my Rice Cooker Mexican Rice or Mexican Cauliflower Rice for a light and hearty meal. Or even for breakfast - you could top them with an egg! (If you've been reading this blog for awhile, you already know that I want to top everything with an egg.) And for more leftover carnitas inspiration, check out my Pulled Pork Quesadillas and Pulled Pork Nachos!
Easy Carnitas Tostadas
- shredded jack cheese
- slices avocado
- thinly shredded green cabbage
- cherry tomatoes halved
- sour cream
- chopped fresh cilantro
For the Carnitas
- Start by making Slow Cooker Pork Carnitas.
- If carnitas has been refrigerated, warm it by adding olive oil to a non-stick skillet over medium heat. Add cold carnitas, cook and stir until it has warmed through and edges have crisp. Add cooking liquid or stock to moisten as desired.
For the Tostada Shells
- Make homemade Tostada Shells or use your favorite store bought shells.
For the Refried Beans
- Make Homemade refried beans or your favorite canned refried beans.
- Heat refried beans in a small saucepan over low heat, adding water or stock if beans are dry.
How to Assemble Carnitas Tostadas
- To assemble tostadas, spread each tostada shell with ¼ cup refried beans and top with ¼ cup carnitas. Layer with desired toppings and serve.
- Important note on timing! I like to prepare the carnitas, refried beans and tostada shells a day in advance of serving these so that prep and cooking come together easily. When calculating how much time you'll beed, be sure to read through the whole recipe and decide ahead of time if you'll make your own tostada shells and refried beans. Note that you'll want to make the carnitas a day in advance or at least very early the morning you plan to serve these tostadas.
- Nutrition information is for 2 tostadas per person and does not include toppings.