This post may contain affiliate links.
Homemade Garlic Butter Sauce elevates everything it touches. Made in less than 10 minutes with 4 simple ingredients that you probably have on hand, it's a sauce that should be a staple in your kitchen.
You'll find that this fragrant, buttery sauce is exceptionally versatile. Drizzle it over mashed potatoes, steamed or grilled vegetables, seared or grilled meats, or serve it as a dipping sauce for seafood. Brush it onto bread or pizza crust or enjoy as a simple sauce for pasta.
Ingredients You Need to Make Garlic Butter Sauce
- Butter: salted butter or unsalted butter (ideally high fat, European-style butter to minimize water and milk solids)
- Garlic: look for plump, fresh cloves of garlic with smooth outer skin without discoloring
- Kosher Salt: or fine sea salt
- Fresh Parsley: ideally flat leaf parsley / Italian parsley
Though this simple garlic butter sauce recipe is delicious as is, there are many ways to embellish it. Here are some ideas:
- Stir in fresh herbs like minced rosemary, thyme or chives to make a garlic herb butter sauce. (If you're a dill lover, try my Garlic Butter Sauce for Seafood.)
- Add fresh lemon juice to make Lemon Garlic Butter Sauce.
- Swirl in a pinch or more of crushed red pepper flakes or freshly ground black pepper for a spicy kick.
How to Store and Reheat
It's easy to double or even triple this recipe so you'll always have it on hand. Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days and will reheat beautifully in a skillet or small pan over low heat. Or freeze individual portions for up to 3 months (ice cube trays work well for this). No need to thaw before reheating over low heat.
How to Serve
- Drizzle over Bacon Wrapped Scallops or Bacon Wrapped Shrimp for added layer of decadence.
- Spoon over Slow Roasted Salmon or Grilled Swordfish
- Toss with your favorite pasta to make Garlic Butter Noodles or with seared steak to make Garlic Butter Steak Bites.
- Drizzle over tender green beans to make Garlic Butter Green Beans.
- Or toss with shrimp and pasta to make Garlic Butter Shrimp Pasta.
How to Make Garlic Butter Sauce
Cook and stir minced garlic in sizzling butter until fragrant and tender. Remove from heat; stir in parsley and serve.
Garlic Butter Sauce
- 8 tablespoons butter
- 6 large garlic cloves minced
- kosher salt to taste
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley
- Heat butter in a small saucepan or skillet over medium heat until sizzling. Add minced garlic; cook and stir until tender and mellowed to your liking, 1 to 2 minutes (reduce heat if it starts to brown). Remove from heat and stir in parsley. Season with salt to taste and serve.