I've made these Green Chile Chicken Enchiladas for decades. They're a family favorite and my go-to recipe for a casual dinner party. I love to make them with juicy, slow cooker shredded chicken, homemade green enchilada sauce and plenty of melty cheddar and mozzarella cheese.
You can make this recipe with a rotisserie chicken and canned enchilada sauce in a pinch, but I promise it's worth the effort to make them from scratch.
I typically start a day before I plan to serve these green chile chicken enchiladas with 10 minutes of effort (including the shredding!) to make shredded chicken and 30 minutes to make the green enchilada sauce. The sauce freezes beautifully and one recipe makes enough for 2 or 3 batches of enchiladas, depending on how saucy you like them.
I always lightly brown each flour tortilla in a little oil before assembling the enchiladas. It's a great way to avoid the sogginess that can happen when making enchiladas with raw tortillas.
More Must Try Mexican Food Recipes
How to Make Green Chile Chicken Enchiladas
Step 1: Brush baking dish with olive oil and spread on a light layer of green enchilada sauce.
Step 2: In a non-stick skillet, lightly fry each tortilla on each side in a little oil and transfer to plate. Top each tortilla with green enchilada sauce, shredded chicken, cheese and black olives. Roll up tortilla and place in one end of baking dish. Repeat with remaining tortillas.
Step 3: Top enchiladas evenly with remaining green enchilada sauce and shredded cheese. Bake at 350˚F for 25 to 30 minutes. Serve with sour cream and chopped fresh cilantro if desired.
Green Chile Chicken Enchiladas Recipe Video
Green Chile Chicken Enchiladas
- 8 teaspoons olive oil plus more for brushing on baking dish
- 8 flour tortillas
- 3 cups green enchilada sauce see recipe note #1
- 12 ounces shredded cooked chicken
- 6 ounces mozzarella cheese shredded
- 6 ounces cheddar cheese shredded
- 1 6-ounce can black olives drained and thinly sliced into rounds (optional)
- sour cream to taste
- chopped fresh cilantro to taste, optional
- Preheat oven to 350˚F.
- Heat a non-stick skillet over medium heat until hot. Add 1 teaspoon of oil and swirl to coat. Add tortilla and fry for 10-15 seconds per side until lightly brown; transfer to plate. Repeat with remaining tortillas. Set aside.
- Brush a 9 x 13-inch baking dish with olive oil. Pour in 1 cup of green enchilada sauce and smooth to an even layer with the back of a spoon.
- Place one tortilla on a plate and top with 2 tablespoons of sauce, using the back of a spoon to spread it evenly almost to the edges. Top with 1 ½ ounces shredded chicken across center. Sprinkle with a half ounce each of mozzarella and cheddar. Sprinkle with desired amount of sliced olives. Roll up and place in one end of prepared baking dish. Repeat with remaining tortillas.
- Top enchiladas with remaining sauce, spreading it out to the edges. Sprinkle with remaining cheese and olives (if desired). Bake uncovered 25 to 30 minutes until enchiladas are heated through and cheese is melted. Serve topped with sour cream and fresh cilantro.
- Use more or less enchilada sauce to suit your taste. I like them pretty saucy!