You can make Homemade Almond Joy bars in 15 minutes with just 5 everyday ingredients and, I promise, they taste even better than the original!
Remember that Almond Joy commercial from the ’80s?: “Sometimes you feel like a nut… Sometimes you don’t… Almond Joy’s got nuts, Mound’s don’t…” (Weird Al Yankovic wrote the jingle – who knew?)
When it comes to candy and cookies, I always ‘feel like a nut,’ so Almond Joy bars were a favorite candy of mine growing up. I hadn’t had one in years and instead of a trip to the grocery store I headed to the kitchen and came up with these homemade Almond Joy bars.
This is a copycat Almond Joy recipe, but it’s a big improvement on what you buy in the grocery store. For one thing, there’s the ingredient list. See the Almond Joy ingredient label below:
Compare it to: coconut, coconut oil, honey, vanilla, almonds, dark chocolate and salt (optional).
Making these is as simple as melting a few ingredients and some stirring and sprinkling.
A 12-cup mini muffin tray works perfectly and it’s fun for kids of all ages (ahem) to cram the coconut mixture into the mini muffin liners. Oh, and if you don’t ‘feel like a nut,’ skip the almonds and voilà!, homemade Mounds bars.
Love These? More Dessert Recipes You Need to Try!
- S’mores Brownies (have you ever had marshmallow meringue?)
- Almond Flour Brownies (thick and fudgy gluten free brownies!)
- Peanut Butter Oatmeal Cookies (crispy and chewy with a salted top – SO good!)
- Cowboy Cookies (if you like cookies with all the lumps and bumps, yum!)
- Butter Cookies (melt in your mouth delicious!)
How to Make Homemade Almond Joy
1. Cook and stir coconut oil and honey over low heat until melted. Stir in vanilla and pour over shredded coconut. Stir to coat coconut evenly.
2. Spoon coconut mixture into mini muffin pan liners, compressing firmly with the back of a spoon.
3. Top each candy with a toasted almond.
4. Melt chocolate in a double boiler or glass bowl set over simmering water, stirring until smooth. Spoon chocolate equally over each candy.
5. Sprinkle each candy with flaky sea salt. (Optional) Refrigerate until firm then enjoy!
Homemade Almond Joy
- 1 1/4 cups unsweetened shredded coconut 100 grams
- 1/3 cup virgin coconut oil or other coconut oil that is solid at room temperature
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1/2 teaspoon real vanilla extract
- 12 toasted almonds
- 3 1/2 ounces dark chocolate broken into small pieces (I used Theo 85%)
- sea salt flakes such as Maldon (optional)
- Line 12-cup mini muffin pan with liners. Set aside.
- Add shredded coconut to a medium bowl.
- To a saucepan over low heat add coconut oil and honey; cook and stir just until coconut oil has melted. Remove from heat and stir in vanilla. Pour mixture over flaked coconut and stir until thoroughly coated.
- Spoon coconut mixture evenly into prepared pan, pressing firmly to compress. Continue to stir mixture throughout the process to keep oil distributed. Top each candy with a toasted almond.
- Place chocolate in a double boiler or glass bowl over simmering water; stir constantly until chocolate is melted and smooth. Spoon melted chocolate over each candy, gently spreading to the edges with back of spoon. Refrigerate for at least 1 hour, until chocolate and coconut mixture are firm. If desired, lightly sprinkle the top of each bite with flaky sea salt. Serve.