This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
Smoked Salmon Salad is special occasion elegant, but easy enough to make on a weeknight. It pairs well with other salads and appetizers in a party or brunch spread, yet is hearty enough to be a meal on its own.
In many of salads that include farro (like Greek Farro Salad and Charlie Bird’s Farro Salad), it’s the focal ingredient. But in this Smoked Salmon Salad recipe, it’s an accessory. Here buttery, smoky salmon and creamy goat cheese are the stars.
Ample flavors and textures are at play in this Smoked Salmon Salad. Tender salad greens like baby spinach and arugula, salty-rich smoked salmon, bitter radicchio, nutty farro, crunchy walnuts, and creamy goat cheese are tossed in a creamy, fresh lemon juice spiked salad dressing. Every bite is a little different.
- Though I love this recipe as is, it’s one of those recipes that is easily amenable. Don’t hesitate to swap in or embellish with your favorite ingredients.
- Not a fan of goat cheese? Feta or a soft farmer’s cheese make a great substitute. (Or top with crispy Baked Goat Cheese rounds instead.) Want to add a bit of heat? Thinly sliced red onion is a great choice. Craving more butteriness? Add avocado slices. A touch of sweetness? Toss in a few cherry tomatoes. Want to add a briny, herbaceous edge? A few capers and a shower of fresh dill will do the trick. Feel free to make this your own!
- And if you’ll be serving this to someone on a gluten free diet, brown rice or oat groats will stand in nicely for the farro.
If you have time to plan ahead, much of this salad can be prepared in advance. (See my in-depth guide on How to Cook Farro) But if you plan to eat it over a couple of days, be sure to store the ingredients separately and assemble just before serving.
If you love fish and seafood salads, don’t miss these recipes for Crab Salad and Nicoise Salad. And though I love smoked salmon for this salad, leftover Slow Roasted Salmon or Salmon Piccata are other delicious options.
Smoked Salmon Salad with Farro and Goat Cheese
- 1/4 cup sour cream or plain yogurt
- 3 ounces soft goat cheese divided
- juice of 1 Meyer lemon
- 1 teaspoon milk or more
- 2 green onions finely chopped
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 5 ounces mixed baby greens
- 1/2 head radicchio coarsely chopped
- 5 ounces smoked salmon broken up into bite-size pieces
- 1/4 cup toasted walnuts coarsely chopped
- 1/2 cup cooked farro
- To make the dressing: Whisk together sour cream or yogurt in a medium bowl, 1 ounce of the goat cheese and lemon juice. Whisk in milk, one teaspoon at a time, until dressing reaches the consistency you're after. Whisk in green onions and season to taste with salt and pepper. Set aside.
- On a large serving platter, scatter mixed baby greens and radicchio in an even layer. Sprinkle smoked salmon, walnuts, farro and remaining goat cheese evenly over the top. Drizzle with dressing and serve.
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.