This post may contain affiliate links.
Stuffed Delicata Squash is a delicious, nutritious and satisfying way to enjoy the beloved squash. In this recipe, tender halves of delicata squash are stuffed with a hearty blend of Italian sausage, brown rice and kale then baked until hot and delectable.
Consider this recipe a starting point for your creativity. You'll find the amounts helpful, but have endless options for stuffing combinations - a great way to use up any leftover meat, cooked grains, rice or seeds that you have on hand. You can also assemble the stuffed squash and refrigerate for up to a day before you plan to bake it.
Stuffed Delicata Squash Ingredients
- Delicata Squash: two delicata squash of similar size
- Olive Oil: extra-virgin olive oil
- Italian Sausage: or other raw, ground sausage
- Cooked Rice: white rice or brown rice
- Lacinato Kale: or other sturdy green
- Kosher Salt and Freshly Ground Black Pepper
- You can swap in cooked and seasoned ground beef or ground turkey for the sausage.
- Instead of kale, you can use another green like chard, spinach, or arugula.
- Any cooked whole grain or seed you have on hand will work well in place of the brown rice. Cooked farro, barley and quinoa would all be good options.
- Add richness and flavor depth by topping the cooked stuffed squash with a shredded good melting cheese like jack, cheddar, mozzarella. Sprinkle it on and return the squash to the oven just until the cheese melts then serve hot.
More Ways to Enjoy Delicata Squash
- How to Cook Delicata Squash
- Delicata Squash Soup (with Coconut Milk and Curry)
- Crunchy Salty Toasted Delicata Squash Seeds
- Delicata Squash Salad
How to Make Stuffed Delicata Squash
Roast seeded delicata squash halves until tender.
While squash bakes, prepare filling. When squash halves are tender fill with stuffing and bake until heated through. Serve.
Stuffed Delicata Squash
- 2 delicata squash cut in half lengthwise, seeds and pulp scooped out
- 1 tablespoon olive oil plus more for brushing baking sheet
- ½ pound Italian sausage
- 2 cups cooked rice white rice or brown rice
- 1 bunch lacinato kale thinly sliced crosswise into ribbons
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 400˚F and line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper or brush lightly with oil.
- Cut each delicata squash in half lengthwise and scrape out the seeds. Place halves cut side down on prepared baking sheet; roast 30 to 40 minutes (depending on the size of the squash) until tender. Remove from oven and turn squash halves cut side up. (Leave oven on.)
- Meanwhile, heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add sausage, breaking into small pieces with a wooden spoon. Cook and stir until cooked through and lightly browned. Add sliced kale; cook and stir until wilted and tender, 3-5 minutes. Add cooked rice; cook and stir until combined and heated through. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Divide sausage mixture evenly between roasted delicata squash halves and sprinkle with cheese; bake 10 minutes, or until squash is heated through. Serve.