This post may contain affiliate links.
The title of this post just doesn't cover it. I know it's good to be brief, but what I really want to call this is Butter Lettuce Salad with Creamy Meyer Lemon Dressing, Hazelnuts, Pecorino and Mint. But, wait - there are chives too! Never mind.
With so many flavors and textures every bite can be different. And in this particular combination, no one flavor overtakes the whole. The Meyer lemon and sour cream make a light, silky dressing. The pecorino is salty and buttery; the mint and carrots are fresh and sweet; the butter lettuce and hazelnuts add crunch.
This is the kind of salad that can be a meal in itself - especially if you pair it with some crusty bread and a glass of wine or prosecco, which I highly recommend. For a heartier meal, pair it with anything you're grilling: Chicken Kabobs, Grilled Chicken Thighs, Grilled Lamb Chops or Lamb Kabobs, Spicy Grilled Shrimp, and Grilled Cauliflower Steaks are all good options.
Butter Lettuce Salad
For the dressing:
- ¼ cup sour cream
- juice of one small Meyer lemon
- 1 ounce finely shredded Pecorino Romano cheese
- 1 tablespoon minced chives
- kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
For the salad:
- 5 ounces butter lettuce leaves washed, dried and torn into bite size pieces
- 1 carrot shaved into thin ribbons
- ¼ cup loosely packed fresh mint leaves
- 2 ounces toasted hazelnuts coarsely chopped
- several shavings Pecorino Romano cheese
- To make the dressing, whisk together sour cream, lemon juice, cheese and chives. Season to taste with kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper. Pour into the bottom of a large salad bowl. Add butter lettuce leaves and toss until leaves are coated with dressing.
- Transfer dressed lettuce to serving platter. Top with remaining ingredients and serve.