Could someone please help me? I am seriously verbose with my titles, but I never want to leave anything out. I actually showed some restraint by not calling this ‘Butter Lettuce Salad with Creamy Meyer Lemon Dressing Hazelnuts Pecorino and Mint.’ But, wait – there are chives too! Nevermind.
With so many flavors and textures every bite can be different. And in this particular combination, no one flavor overtakes the whole. The Meyer lemon and sour cream make a light, silky dressing. The pecorino is salty and buttery; the mint and carrots are fresh and sweet; the butter lettuce and hazelnuts add crunch.
This is the kind of salad that can be a meal in itself – especially if you pair it with some crusty bread and a glass of wine or prosecco, which I highly recommend.
Butter Lettuce Salad with Creamy Meyer Lemon Dressing Hazelnuts and Mint
For the dressing:
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- juice of one small Meyer lemon
- 1 ounce finely shredded Pecorino Romano cheese
- 1 tablespoon minced chives
- kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
For the salad:
- 5 ounces butter lettuce leaves washed, dried and torn into bite size pieces
- 1 carrot shaved into thin ribbons
- 1/4 cup loosely packed fresh mint leaves
- 2 ounces toasted hazelnuts coarsely chopped
- several shavings Pecorino Romano cheese
To make the dressing, whisk together sour cream, lemon juice, cheese and chives. Season to taste with kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper. Pour into the bottom of a large salad bowl. Add butter lettuce leaves and toss until leaves are coated with dressing.
Transfer dressed lettuce to serving platter. Top with remaining ingredients and serve.