This post may contain affiliate links.
With 5 minutes of prep time and 4 simple ingredients that you may already have on hand, you can make creamy, zesty, spicy Chipotle Crema. It's the ideal topping for tacos and all of your favorite Mexican dishes like burritos, salads, quesadillas, nachos, and more.
The great thing about making this sauce at home is that you can adjust the ingredient amounts to make it perfect for you! Not spicy enough? Add more hot sauce. Want more zing? Increase the amount of fresh lime juice and zest. Think of this simple recipe as a place to start and increase or reduce the amounts to make it your own.
Ingredients You Need to Make Chipotle Crema
- Sour Cream: or Mexican Crema
- Lime: juice and zest
- Chipotle Hot Sauce: such as Cholula brand or Tabasco
- Kosher Salt: or fine sea salt
- Kick up the spice with chipotle powder or standard chili powder to taste. Or swap in a couple of chipotle peppers in adobo sauce for the hot sauce and combine with the remaining ingredients in your food processor.
- Instead of sour cream or Mexican crema, use crème fraiche or even plain Greek Yogurt.
- Carne Asada Burritos
- Pulled Pork Nachos
- Shrimp Tacos or Shrimp Tacos with Mango Salsa
- Carne Asada Tacos
- Pulled Pork Quesadillas
How to Make Chipotle Crema
In a medium bowl whisk together sour cream, lime juice and zest, chipotle hot sauce and season with salt to taste. Serve!
- 1 cup sour cream or Mexican crema
- ½ medium lime juice and zest
- 3 tablespoons chipotle hot sauce or more to taste, (recipe note #1)
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt or more to taste
- In a medium bowl, whisk all ingredients together until smooth: sour cream (or Mexican crema), lime juice and zest, chipotle hot sauce, and kosher salt. Set aside (refrigerate if making well ahead of time). Serve as desired.
- I used Cholula brand Chipotle Hot Sauce - the level of spice varies by brand, so I recommend tasting as you go!
- Makes about 8 2-tablespoon servings.