This post may contain affiliate links.
Is there any better dip for raw vegetables or salad enhancer than Homemade Ranch Dressing? Not when it's creamy and loaded with fresh herb flavor as this recipe is!
Did you watch The Cosby Show in the '80s? I remember an episode where Claire had put Cliff on a diet. They sat down to eat a big salad and Cliff commented that she'd forgotten the dressing. No, she assured him, it was on there. "But you should be able to see the dressing." he said.
Most of the time I prefer just olive oil, salt, and pepper - a combo I learned from my Aunt Krista. But sometimes I want to see the dressing. And it's ranch dressing I want to see.
But if you've read the label on the most common brand, you'll understand why I don't like to buy it in the bottle: phosphoric acid, xanthan gum, modified food starch, MSG, artificial flavors, disodium phosphate, sorbic acid, calcium disodium EDTA, disodium inosinate and disodium guanylate. Not too appetizing.
But no matter, because making ranch dressing from scratch is so simple. When you see how simple, you may be skeptical (same goes for this amazing Caesar Salad). But, please trust me, you won't be disappointed.
Homemade Ranch Dressing
- 1 ½ cups sour cream
- 1 clove garlic minced
- ¼ cup chives finely chopped
- ¼ cup parsley finely chopped
- milk enough to reach your desired consistency
- salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Whisk together the sour cream, garlic, parsley and chives. Add milk to reach your desired consistency.
- Season to taste with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Enjoy as a salad dressing or a vegetable dip.