This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
Kale and Brussels Sprout Salad is a delicious combination of thinly sliced, raw kale and Brussels sprouts tossed in a tangy dressing and topped with crunchy almonds and salty pecorino cheese (or parmesan cheese). It’s also vegetarian and naturally gluten free.
Kale salad has gotten a lot of attention over the past several years. But what comes to mind when you think of a ‘Brussels sprouts salad’? Do you perk up or do you cringe? The first few times I ate them, honestly, I thought they were gross. They were squeaky, water logged mini cabbages with a faintly skunky smell.
But then I tried them in a few new recipes. Thinly sliced and sautéed in olive oil with garlic: delicious. Roasted with delicata squash and crispy bits of bacon: even better. But now I think I’ve discovered my favorite way to eat them – raw.
Our CSA share last week had tight, brilliantly green Brussels sprouts and a large bunch of Lacinato kale (also called Italian or Tuscan kale). I immediately thought of a salad recipe I’d seen in Bon Appétit magazine several years ago – it stuck in my mind because it’s uncommon to see Brussels sprouts and kale served raw.
The key to this Kale and Brussels Sprout Salad is to slice the kale and Brussels sprouts into tiny ribbons, really more like coleslaw than salad. (The food processor makes quick work of this.) The tangy lemon Dijon vinaigrette clings to every shred and balances the boldly flavored greens. Toasted almond chunks and shreds of pecorino cheese make the salad feel indulgent.
More Kale Salads
How to Make Kale and Brussels Sprout Salad
Step 1: Whisk dressing ingredients together in the bottom of a large salad bowl.
Step 2: Thinly slice Brussels sprouts and slice kale into thin ribbons, either with a sharp knife or food processor slicing blade.
Step 3: Add Brussels sprouts and kale to salad bowl; toss to coat. Add cheese and almonds; toss to combine. Serve.
Kale and Brussels Sprout Salad
For the dressing:
- 2 teaspoons minced shallot
- 2 teaspoons smooth Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
For the salad:
- 8 ounces Brussels sprouts about 20, bottom and outer leaves trimmed
- 1 small bunch Italian kale
- 2 ounces shredded pecorino cheese or parmesan cheese
- 1 ounce toasted, salted almonds coarsely chopped
- Prepare the dressing in the bottom of a large bowl – it's easier to toss it into the greens from the bottom. Whisk the shallot, mustard and lemon juice together, then slowly drizzle in the olive oil and whisk until emulsified. Season to taste with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Using a sharp knife (or the slicing blade of your food processor), thinly slice the Brussels sprouts and kale leaves. Add to the dressing in the salad bowl and toss to coat. Add about half of the shredded pecorino and toss again. Top with remaining pecorino and almonds; serve.
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.