This post may contain affiliate links.
Loaded with flavors and textures, this Kumquat Salad is irresistible. Crunchy lettuce and pistachios, buttery avocado, creamy feta and tangy kumquats all tossed in an orange and honey vinaigrette.
We celebrated Christmas this year with my mom and stepdad in California. Though Keith and I grew up in California, we've lived in the Pacific Northwest for nearly 20 years now and the winters in California are not what they are in Bend, Oregon.
The day I took this picture of the laden kumquat tree in my parents' backyard, it was the 23rd of December and 75 degrees.
We came home to zero degrees and snow. And I wouldn't have it any other way!
So about this salad, kumquats are the star. Have you eaten one before? They are tiny, oblong fruits that you can pop into your mouth, peel and all, for a burst of citrus refreshment. Or, as I've done here, you can slice them to toss into a salad. It's not just about their own flavor, but how they accentuate all of the flavors around them.
If you can't find kumquats, swap in orange or tangerine slices or supremes. (Not the band, but the sections without skin or pith - here's a video on how to make them.) And if you're looking for a delicious pair for this salad, Tomato Bisque is perfect!
Kumquat Avocado and Pistachio Salad with Orange Honey Vinaigrette
For the dressing:
- ¼ cup fresh orange juice juice of 1 orange
- 1 teaspoon champagne vinegar
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
For the salad:
- ½ head romaine lettuce cored and thinly sliced
- 1 avocado peel and seed removed, thinly sliced
- 6 kumquats thinly sliced
- ¼ cup roasted salted pistachios
- 2 ounces feta crumbled
To make the dressing:
- In a small bowl, whisk together orange juice, vinegar and honey. Slowly drizzle in olive oil, whisking constantly. Season to taste with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
To assemble salads:
- In a large bowl, toss lettuce with dressing. Divide between 2 salad bowls. Top each bowl with half of remaining ingredients and serve.