Creamy Cucumber Salad (also called German Cucumber Salad) is a refreshing salad that’s delicious on its own and the perfect balance to deeply flavored main dishes. Thin crisp cucumber slices are tossed in a creamy dressing that’s herbaceous and snappy with fresh dill, chives and lemon juice. It’s a salad that you can prepare in less than 15 minutes and deserves a place in your normal rotation. Serve it with grilled meats and vegetables when the weather is warm and with your favorite comfort foods when it’s chilly outside.
Though this salad has only a few ingredients, working with them is a sensory pleasure: fresh dill with it’s feathery leaves and sweet aroma, chilly crisp cucumber whooshing across a mandonline’s razor sharp blade. For the other components, I’ve tried this salad with raw onion (both red and white) and found the flavor too strong. In this Creamy Cucumber Salad recipe the subtle onion flavor of fresh chives compliments the flavors of dill and cucumber without overpowering them. And sour cream makes a lovely base, but plain Greek yogurt also works well. And though the salad tastes decadent, it’s actually light at just under 100 calories per generous serving.
I often prepare this salad just before serving, but you can make it an hour or two in advance if you like. Just be sure to toss it just before you eat as the fresh cucumber slices will slowly release their liquid. And if you’d like to prep the salad more than a couple of hours before you plan to serve it, I recommend refrigerating the sliced cucumber and creamy dill dressing separately, ready to combine.
It’s nice to have very thin slices of cucumber for this Creamy Cucumber Salad, 1/8″ to 1/4″ thick. I used my trusty (and terrifying) mandoline, but a food processor fitted with the slicing blade or a very sharp knife will also work well.
How to Make Creamy Cucumber Salad
Step 1: Thinly slice cucumbers, 1/8″ to 1/4″ thick.
Step 2: Whisk together creamy dill dressing ingredients in the bottom of a serving bowl: sour cream, fresh dill, chives, lemon juice. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
Step 3: Add cucumber slices to dressing in serving bowl and toss to coat. Serve.
Creamy Cucumber Salad Recipe Video
Creamy Cucumber Salad
- 2 large English cucumbers about 2 pounds
- 1/2 cup sour cream or Greek yogurt
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice from about 1 lemon
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh dill lightly packed
- 1/4 cup minced fresh chives
- kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Slice the cucumbers into rounds, 1/8 to 1/4-inch thick.
- In the bottom of a serving bowl combine sour cream, lemon juice, dill and chives; whisk to combine. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Add cucumber slices to serving bowl with dressing and toss to coat evenly. Serve.
- A mandoline or food processor’s slicing blade makes quick work of slicing the cucumbers very thin, but a sharp knife will also work well.
- I typically make the creamy dill dressing for this salad with sour cream, but Greek yogurt is also a tasty option.
- Making the dressing in the bottom of the bowl you plan to serve the salad in means one less bowl to clean!
- Refrigerate this salad for up to 2 hours before serving (tossing to coat just before you eat.) If it will be longer than 2 hours, refrigerate cucumber slices and dressing separately.