You don't need to get out your deep fryer to have crispy and delicious egg rolls - these Pork and Vegetable Crispy Baked Egg Rolls are easy to make, truly crispy and absolutely delicious. They're the perfect crowd pleasing appetizer!
Remember those spicy pork meatballs I told you about? When you make them, save half of the pork mixture and make these crispy oven baked egg rolls.
Ingredients You Need to Make Baked Egg Rolls
- Lemongrass: fresh lemongrass stalk
- Garlic: fresh garlic
- Ginger: fresh ginger
- Jalapeño: or Serrano peppers for extra spicy kick
- Cilantro: fresh cilantro
- Ground Pork: plain, unseasoned ground pork
- Sesame Oil: plain sesame oil (not toasted) or peanut oil
- Green Cabbage
- Carrot: fresh carrot
- Green Onions
- Egg Roll Wrappers: store bought or homemade
- Salt and Freshly Ground Black Pepper
You can certainly pan fry, or even deep fry these, but I decided to bake them brushed with sesame oil. They turned out crispy and delicious. For holidays or any kind of gathering, these are sure to be gobbled up quickly. Kids love them too!
Bake them in a 400˚F until crispy outside and hot inside.
For the crispiest exterior, brush egg rolls with sesame oil or peanut oil before baking.
Yes. Freeze uncooked egg rolls on a parchment lined baking sheet in a single layer to keep them from sticking together. Transfer to a freezer safe bag or other airtight container once frozen solid. Bake or fry within 3 months. (No need to thaw before baking.)
No. Bake them from frozen.
Bake egg rolls from frozen for ~20 minutes on a baking sheet in an oven preheated to 400˚F, until crispy outside and heated through.
Ideas for Dipping Sauce
As for dip, we had some savory plum sauce that our friend Beth made that was just perfect. You could also combine soy sauce, rice vinegar, sriracha and toasted sesame oil (all to taste) for a simple and delicious dip. Sweet Chili sauce would also be excellent!
More Crispy Baked Appetizers
With a few simple techniques, you can make truly crispy versions of foods that are traditionally deep fried, like:
How to Make Baked Egg Rolls
In the bowl of a food processor combine aromatics: lemongrass, garlic, ginger, shallot, jalapeño, raw bacon slice, cilantro, salt and pepper. Process into a fine paste, scraping down the sides of the bowl as necessary. Combine aromatics with raw ground pork in a medium bowl and set aside. (Note: If mixing with your hands, wear gloves to prevent irritation from raw jalapeño.)
Heat sesame oil in a large skillet; add cabbage, carrots and green onions. Cook and stir 1 minute. Add ground pork and aromatic mixture; cook and stir until pork is cooked through, then turn up the heat to cook off excess liquid. Set aside.
How to roll egg rolls step by step: When filling has cooled, line a baking sheet with parchment paper and preheat oven to 400ºF. Scoop ¼ cup filling into an egg roll wrapper laid flat at a diagonal. Fold side corners toward middle and roll up as you would a burrito. Place on prepared baking sheet and repeat with remaining pork mixture.
Brush egg rolls all over with sesame oil. Bake until golden brown, 15 to 18 minutes. Serve.
Baked Egg Rolls Recipe Video
Crispy Baked Egg Rolls
- 1 thick stalk lemongrass coarse outer leaves discarded and tender leaves coarsely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic peeled and crushed
- ½ inch fresh ginger peeled and chopped
- 1 shallot coarsely chopped
- 1 jalapeño
- 1 strip uncooked bacon cut crosswise into 1-inch pieces
- ¼ cup fresh cilantro packed
- ¼ teaspoon fine sea salt plus more to taste
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper plus more to taste
- ½ pound ground pork
- 2 teaspoons sesame oil plus more for brushing egg rolls before baking
- 1 cup finely chopped green cabbage
- 1 medium carrot shredded
- 4 green onions finely chopped
- 10 egg roll wrappers
For the Egg Roll Filling:
- Add first 9 ingredients to the bowl of a food processor (lemongrass through pepper). Process mixture until it becomes a paste, scraping down the bowl occasionally. Transfer to a medium bowl.
- Add ground pork to lemongrass mixture and use your hands to combine, taking care not to over-mix. (I recommend gloves for this as raw jalapeño can cause severe skin irritation.)
- Heat 1 teaspoon sesame oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add cabbage, carrot, and green onions; cook and stir until beginning to soften, 2-3 minutes. Add pork mixture; cook and stir, breaking into small pieces until pork is cooked through, about 5 minutes. Increase heat to medium-high and cook until most of the liquid has evaporated, 3-5 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside to cool (refrigerate to speed the cooling process).
Assemble and Bake the Egg Rolls:
- Preheat oven to 400ºF.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- When filling has cooled, scoop ¼ cup into an egg roll wrapper laid flat with a corner facing you. Fold bottom corner up over filling, then fold two opposite corners toward the middle. Roll up, burrito style, and place on parchment lined baking sheet. Repeat with remaining egg rolls. Arrange egg rolls spaced apart so they brown evenly.
- Brush egg rolls all over with sesame oil.
- Bake until golden brown, 15 to 18 minutes to your desired amount of crispness. Take care not to bake them too long which can result in a hard outer layer - you're after crispy! Serve.