Well twenty-sixteen is off and running, wheee… I’m finding myself on a constant hunt for meals that are simple to prepare and loaded with flavor; this Spicy Soba Noodle Bowl with Egg qualifies.
It’s really a riff on this Spicy Sesame and Ginger Bok Choy (pictured below), in which baby bok choy is the star. I just added soba noodles, almonds, green onions and an egg so we could call it lunch.
You can make this start to finish in 15 minutes. I’ve written the recipe to serve two, but you can easily scale it to four or more.
I hope your new year is off to a beautiful start.
Spicy Soba Noodle Bowl with Egg
- 2 eggs
- 4 ounces dry soba noodles
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 tablespoon grated fresh ginger about a 1-inch piece
- 4 heads baby bok choy rinsed and coarsely chopped
- 1 teaspoon red chile paste or more (such as sambal oelek)
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons toasted sesame oil
- 1/4 cup chopped Tamari roasted almonds
- 1 green onion thinly sliced
- In a small saucepan, bring to boil just enough water to cover eggs (wait until the water boils to add eggs, trust me.) Once water boils, slowly lower each egg into boiling water on a soup spoon. Keep at a low boil for 8 minutes; drain then return eggs to pan and cover with cold water.
- Meanwhile, bring water to boil for dry soba noodles and cook according to package directions.
- While noodles and eggs cook, heat sesame oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add garlic and ginger; cook and stir 1 minute. Add baby bok choy, chile paste and soy sauce; cook 3 to 5 minutes, until greens have wilted and stalks are crisp-tender. Remove from heat.
- When noodles are done, lift them from the boiling water with a slotted pasta ladle and transfer directly into bok choy mixture. Return pan to burner over medium-low heat and gently toss to combine and reheat.
- When you're ready to serve, peel and cut each egg in half. Divide noodle mixture between two serving bowls; top each bowl with one egg, one teaspoon toasted sesame oil and half of the almonds and green onions. Serve.