This post may contain affiliate links.
It's the blend of fresh strawberries and strawberry preserves that sets this Strawberry Vinaigrette apart from the others. Bright and deep, tangy and sweet, the depth of flavor is unmatched.
A good vinaigrette is all about balance. Here red wine vinegar's bright acidity contrasts with the sweetness of fresh strawberries and strawberry preserves. Olive oil and honey add a luscious mouth feel, while shallots add an edge of delicate oniony flavor and salt and pepper round everything out.
Strawberry Vinaigrette Ingredients
- Strawberries: Ideally sweet, ripe fresh strawberries that are red all the way through for the most vibrant dressing color.
- Red Wine Vinegar: You can also use apple cider vinegar, but I prefer red wine vinegar for its pinkish hue.
- Strawberry Preserves: or your favorite strawberry jam (see the difference below)
- Honey: Or maple syrup for a vegan version. You may want to omit this if you use a jam that's very sweet (i.e., if the first ingredient is sugar).
- Shallot: Or a small amount of sweet, red onion.
- Olive Oil: a good quality, extra virgin olive oil
- Kosher Salt and Freshly Ground Black Pepper
What is the difference between jam and preserves?
The main differences between jam and preserves are the texture and the ratio of fruit to sweetener. Jam is made of mashed fruit that has a smoother, more spreadable texture than preserves and often contains less fruit and more sweetener than preserves. Preserves, though still spreadable, have a chunkier texture and contain less sweetener and a higher ratio of fruit.
Quick, Easy, and Versatile
With this easy strawberry vinaigrette recipe, 6 simple ingredients and 10 minutes of your time can turn a simple salad into a dish that competes with any main course for the spotlight. Though this strawberry salad dressing pairs well with almost any green salad or fruit salad, it particularly compliments tender greens like baby spinach and peppery arugula, embellished with creamy, salty feta cheese, goat cheese, or blue cheese and a fistful of crunchy walnuts, pecans or hazelnuts. There might not be such a thing as the perfect salad, but you can't go wrong with any of these combinations.
More Homemade Salad Dressings
- Champagne Vinaigrette
- French Vinaigrette
- Balsamic Vinaigrette
- Greek Salad Dressing
- Homemade Caesar Dressing
How to Make Strawberry Vinaigrette
Add all vinaigrette ingredients except for olive oil, salt and pepper to a blender pitcher. Blend until smooth. Then add add olive oil in a steady stream, blending until emulsified. Season to taste with salt and pepper and serve.
- ¼ cup red wine vinegar or apple cider vinegar
- 1 small shallot coarsely chopped
- 5 ounces fresh strawberries ~ 5 large strawberries, stemmed and quartered
- 2 tablespoons strawberry preserves or strawberry jam (see recipe note)
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Add vinegar, shallot, strawberries, strawberry preserves and honey to a blender pitcher; blend until smooth.
- With blender running, add olive oil in a steady stream; blend until emulsified. Add salt and pepper to taste and blend until combined. Transfer to pitcher and serve.
- I prefer strawberry preserves because the first ingredients is typically strawberries instead of sugar. But feel free to substitute your favorite strawberry jam.